Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jail for SuperJoel

So when SuperJoel's sister told me in a comment on this blog that he had died it started my mind connecting to the true feeling in me and a need to express what ever connection that came up.



There are branches from the streams that leads from one memory to another. As with Kathy Soliah to Joe McDonald to SuperJoel and back to Country Joe.


Country Joe McDonald sits with daughter Seven at the Cafe Mediteranian in Berkeley (approximately 1975).

When SuperJoel took the rap for the whole community after the People's Park protests Joe did a benefit for Joel.





When to sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste;
Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
From precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancelled woe,
And moan th' expense of many a vanished sight.
And I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think of thee, dear friend,
All losses are resored and sorrow ends.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Matt K. said...

Hi, Danny. I don't believe we ever met, but I'm an old Berkeley boy. I ran across this while falling down a rabitthole search for some old names from "The Ave," etc. I was mesmerized and a little spooked to go through that "Rag Theater" site and see those faces. Crossmans, Ron, Vanessa and Kathy Delacour, I think I saw Yellowsleeves (or just "Sleeves?" who was a driver for taxi unlimited, etc). Sends me back to those old days. Henry and Clover, Cove, Star, Lloyd and Mary, "Dirty Al," George and Judy, Nutmeg, Tom Montgomery, Eric Malcolm Crosby (Craz), Trevor and Derek (Dak). I was quite young at the time, but I was still involved. Through these peeps I got exposed to the Dead for the first time, Winterland, eventually working for Winterland Productions, etc. I, like many of the ragamuffins posted, had zero parental supervision (mom was a Berkeley therapist). I'm so glad I didn't end up with the drug problems that so many others did (had my share, but got sober and have stayed so for a long, long time). At any rate, thanks for the memories!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home