Wednesday, August 17, 2005

How did Hippies thinks? Or did they?

I saw Fat Bill Richardson on TV the other night blabbing about "Here in New Mexico we not only support the military but we embrace it." And the Large Lard wrapped his arm around an imaginary Military, as if he was embracing a loved one. I thought 'What a pig.'

Pig was a common term for hippies. Pig; the Man; straight and sell-out were all descriptions used by a young hipster or "Hippie" as Herb Caen coined the phrase. But I can't talk about Hippiedom without starting with Tim Leary.
The signed "Big Shot" photo poster is from a later 1967 sample package sent to his Millbrook N.Y. commune that was busted by the then District Attorney G. Gordon Liddy. The signature is from an even later S*M*I 2*L*E period. Written as and meaning "Space Migration Intelligence (Squared) Life Extension"
I only met Tim Leary once but our degrees of separation were small at different times.

To start, I have to Jump back to early Nineteen sixty-something.
I was playing football for the Connecticut "Huskies" under Lou Holtz.
The interesting thing about my career was the last game of season and of my career never got played. The game against Holy Cross was cancelled because the Kennedy assassination.
I was living in the town of Coventry, Conn. (as the way we abbreviated then).

1 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Ed Campbell said...

Everyone remembers where they were when the chickens came home to roost. I was heading north on Rte.8, Cove -- on my way to a wonderful Polish bakery in Shelton for some steamy, fresh bread.

Some of us were "hipsters" and followed a bit closer to Norman Mailer instead of Leary's crowd. Leary said, "America sucks; let's drop out!" Mailer said, "America sucks; let's stay in their face and tell 'em to fuck off!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home