Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Fab Book: The Movie

As I have said before, some people believe that the past is in front of us because we can see it and that the future behind us because we can't. So when I think of my days in Berkeley I think I'm walking backward into the future.

I have also stated many times that the Internet blogosphere is no place to tell the truth ... the web is not your lover nor shrink. But I'm like many people who are caught in the modern dilemma of needing to be truthful and yet knowing that in the here and now truth is not really desired.
In America, the 'reality" is people line up at the door to blab every little secret of the their lives and every geeky twit wants mediocre content for free. Even now I try to express my feelings through someone else words or better yet lyrics ... "If my thought dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine."

I can't count the time I have tried to talk about past sex, love or relationships and then wisely decided to just keep my fucking mouth shut. But there is a thread or rather a stream that allows truth to flow and that for me is the art of marbling.*
*After writing that line I thought about it for four weeks before publishing this post. I really not sure that it is true at all being that all art is an illusion and abstraction.

"The Fab Book" is really a book albeit a manuscript that is completely scattered, shattered and resting at maximum entropy. The book is more than a journal or how-to-do-it manual it is a metaphysical speculative film script. What the fuck Cove?


The story of marbling is a ancient mystery with an origin that will never be identified. Because it is a simple basic concept, something float on something else, it could have been observed by earliest observer.

Also as I have said before, nostalgia is the worst form of depression. As I look back with one eye I am trying to look forward with the other. I am hoping to use the infinite possibilities of marbling as an allegory for life.






The Fab Book starts with cartoon (above) and recollection of selling a piece of marbleized art to an assistant to scientist/TV star Carl Segan who was purchasing the 'spacescape' as a gift for his boss Segan. I took the liberty of combining that true story with another one when a dog excised its critique of my art by pissing on it.

Life on the the street as a hippie artist lead to adventures and information and people that I was driven to record.








(draft - to be continued)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger graycat said...

It is wonderful to see you doing marbling and keeping the art alive!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger graycat said...

How can I contact you?

Corinne, cls9@netzero.net

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Danny,
Do you remember the kids name on the red bike in this post?
I think it's me! So long ago I'm not sure and the pic is very
fuzzy. Do you have any higher res pics?
Never did like having my picture taken so I don't have any pics
from that time in my life.

I grew up in Berkeley and also used to hang out on the Ave
around that time, was friends with Luna and Star, used to
hang out at Blake St. and knew many people from that whole
scene. It's had quite an impact looking at your blog and seeing
your photos and reminiscences.
It's brought up a lot of emotions and reflections.

Also Nacio's Rag Theater site. Although most of that was just
before I started hanging out on the ave.

I've gone through your complete blog and it's cool how you put
pics and reminiscences of that time interspersed throughout
your posts.

My contact is audiopro108 at yahoo dot com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home