Saturday, March 01, 2008

Violence



How bizarre it is when violent people are surprised when other generally peaceful people defend themselves when attacked. It is especially bizarre when it is a young fascist doing the attacking and an old hippie defending himself.

Now I do admit I have struggled in my life with a vow I took to proceed in a life of resistance to fascism, bigotry, racism, tyranny, and oppression while trying to use only non-violent actions. It has been a struggle that started from a violent early childhood and was dramatically altered when as a teenager I was lucky enough to have an epiphany while witnessing a brutal beating where I realize I had to step in to stop it. I have spoken many times about the indelible sound of the fists hitting the head of that kid from our rival town across the river.

From the time I refused to kill Vietnamese just because some part of my country's government to told me that I had to damn my soul because of some millionaire industrialist's greed I knew applying non-violence in America was going to be a life-long difficult task. And when I lived in the jungle we call our cities the predators and violent ones could smell the righteous struggle within others and me.

What the fuck are you talking about Cove?

I am talking about what none of you should be surprise about. That good people sometimes fight back. That if you choose to be an aggressor, or a bully, or a racist bigot or a hateful provocateur and worse you might end up with a broken jaw or maybe even a comparable equivalent to your evil. Sometimes justice comes when you least expect it.



2 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Cove, so tell us - who did you punch out? Was the victim really a facist, or just a guy who stole your parking space, or who accidentally drooled in your popcorn at the movies?

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naw, I don't want to dance with you. At social occasions, you won't typically find me on the dance floor. I'm usually hanging at the bar.

I'm not busting your chops here, it's actually refreshing to see that you realize there are some people who simply do not respond to kindly overtures. Non-violence as an iron-clad philosophy isn't very practical. Many of the folks throughout history who have been the most closely associated with non-violence ended up being murdered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home